- 2019-02-24 to 2019-02-25 On 24-25 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius participates in the EU-League of Arab States (LAS) summit in Sharm El-Sheikh
- 2019-02-26 On 26 February, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius meets with Sixtine Bouygues, Deputy Director-General for Communication of the European Commission
- 2019-02-27 On 27 February at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2019-02-27 On 27 February at 1:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting and sitting
- 2019-02-28 On 28 February, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius meets with the Irish Minister of State for European Affairs Helen McEnfee
L. Linkevičius: Perpetrators of crimes committed against civilians in Syria must be brought to justice
On 26 September in New York, the U.S.A., the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius took part in a discussion on the Syrian conflict. The meeting aimed to reaffirm support for a political solution to the Syrian conflict, based on the United Nations Security Council resolutions, provisions of the Geneva Communiqué, and to discuss the humanitarian situation in the country.
"We will not find a lasting solution to end the Syrian conflict if the perpetrators of brutal crimes against civilians are not be brought to justice," said Lithuania’s Foreign Minister in his statement. L. Linkevičius confirmed Lithuania's support for the International, Impartial and Independent Mechanism to assist in the investigation and prosecution of persons responsible for the most serious crimes under International Law committed in the Syrian Arab Republic since March 2011. He also reiterated that the seven-and-a-half year-long Syrian conflict needed to be resolved peacefully.
Most of the participants welcomed the signing on 17 September of an agreement on demilitarized zone in Syria's Idlib. The heads of state and government see that this agreement opens a window of opportunity for a peaceful resolution of the conflict. During the meeting, the participants repeatedly drew attention to continuously deteriorating humanitarian situation in Syria, a constant flow of refugees and impediments to humanitarian assistance.
The EU's High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini moderated the discussion, which was organized on the European Union's initiative at the United Nations General Assembly. The political situation in Syria was presented by the United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura. The United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Mark Lowcock and High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi assessed the humanitarian situation.