- 2018-12-12 On 12 December at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2018-12-12 On 12 December at 1:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting and sitting
- 2018-12-12 On 12 December at 4:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in an opening of the exhibition of drawings and posters by Ukrainian schoolchildren at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- 2018-12-12 to 2018-12-16 On 12-16 December, the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė is participating in meetings of the initiative of the Enhanced Partnership in Northern Europe (e-PINE) in Washington, D.C.
- 2018-12-13 On 13 December at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting at the Seimas.
L. Linkevičius: Japan is Lithuania's strategic partner in Asia
On 2 August, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius met with the outgoing Ambassador of Japan Toyoei Shigeeda. Lithuania‘s Foreign Minister thanked the Ambassador for his work in Lithuania and his personal contribution to the development and strengthening of relations between the two countries.
"Japan is Lithuania‘s strategic partner in Asia. We make joint efforts to preserve the memory of a Japanese diplomat Chiune Sugihara. Every year, the number of Japanese tourists visiting Lithuania increases. They come to acquaint themselves with the activities of this prominent figure in Lithuania. We are also pleased with many other successful projects. Joint research workshops occur annually. Since 2017, Lithuanian athletes have begun to prepare for the Tokyo 2020 Games in the city of Hiratsuka. In addition, ties between the Lithuanian and Japanese twin towns are intensifying. Therefore, we appreciate the active involvement of the Ambassador in strengthening cooperation in the fields of business, culture and tourism, as well as his personal efforts to develop closer people-to-people relations in smaller municipalities of Lithuania and Japan", said L. Linkevičius.
The Foreign Minister foregrounded the active participation of Japanese scientists in the biennial life sciences forum – Life Sciences Baltics – in Vilnius, as well as defence and security cooperation between Lithuania and Japan. On 8 August 2016, Lithuania and Japan marked the 25th anniversary of the re-establishment of their diplomatic relations. On this happy occasion, the first visit of the training squadron of the Japanese defences forces to Klaipėda Seaport was held. Japanese civilian experts served in the Lithuanian-led Provincial Reconstruction Team of Ghor in Afghanistan in 2009-2013. Japan also supported the development cooperation projects initiated by Lithuania in this country.
The meeting also discussed plans for bilateral visits this year, negotiations on the working holiday scheme and the possibility to launch new economic cooperation projects after the entry into force of the EU-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement in July.
Toyoei Shigeeda has served as the Japanese Ambassador to Lithuania since 2015.