- 2018-12-10 On 10 December, the Minister Linas Linkevičius and the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė are participating in the EU Foreign Affairs Council meetings in Brussels
- 2018-12-10 On 10 December at 8:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is participating in the EU Foreign Ministers‘ meeting with the President of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) Peter Maurer
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending a meeting at the Seimas
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is participating in the 10th Assembly of the Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum in Tbilisi
- 2018-12-11 On 11 December, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananvičius is participating in the General Affairs Council (Art. 50) in Brussels
Foreign Vice-Minister A. Zananavičius: the EU and US have to join forces to strengthen the global trading system
On 9 November, the Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Albinas Zananavičius participated in the EU Foreign Affairs Council (Trade).
Trade ministers discussed the importance of the EU‘s leadership in protecting and strengthening the multilateral trading system, which is currently in a deadlock situation with regard to both the negotiating stalemate and its crippled dispute settlement system.
"We need to join forces with the United States and do our best to preserve an effective and efficient World Trade Organization that would be able to modernize and continuously update its rules of trade between nations. First of all, it is necessary to establish some international competition rules that would ensure a level playing field for all parties and upgrade the WTO dispute settlement system," said the Foreign Vice-Minister.
Lithuania supports transatlantic cooperation to establish new global rules on industrial subsidies, State-owned enterprises, in order to avoid protectionism in a digital world.
"Better opportunities for LNG imports from the U.S.A. will contribute to the implementation of the EU's strategic goal of diversifying its energy sources, and of creating better conditions for consumers," said the Lithuanian Foreign Vice-Minister, who emphasized the importance of strengthening the EU-U.S. energy cooperation in his speech.
The Vice-Minister A. Zananavičius also stressed the need to encourage our closest partners in the neighborhood to adopt the EU rules, which would reinforce closer cooperation.
"We need to support the efforts of the EU partners in implementing the ambitious provisions set out in the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Agreements (DCFTAs) with the Eastern Partnership countries," said Lithuania's Foreign Vice-Minister.