- 2019-02-22 to 2019-02-23 On 22-23 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius visits Germany
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 12:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius visits the Lithuanian High School in Germany Hüttenfeld
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 1:30 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius meets with Honorary Consuls of Lithuania in Germany
- 2019-02-23 On 23 February at 2:45 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius attends an event at the Lithuanian High School in Germany Hüttenfeld
- 2019-02-24 to 2019-02-25 On 24-25 February, the Minister Linas Linkevičius participates in the EU-League of Arab States (LAS) summit in Sharm El-Sheikh
Dialogue with allied countries is strengthened
On 18 October in Vilnius, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius received Permanent Representatives to NATO of countries contributing to the enhanced forward presence battalion in Lithuania. They discussed Lithuania's efforts to strengthen its own security and the implementation of the Alliance‘s initiatives in the field of collective defense and deterrence that had been agreed upon.
Lithuania's Foreign Minister thanked the Permanent Representatives for the contribution of their countries to NATO's enhanced forward presence and stressed that the Alliance's adaptation to a changed security environment should continue, because it was necessary to implement the initiatives adopted at the Alliance's summit in Brussels in July in order to increase the speed of decision making by the Alliance, to ensure higher preparedness levels, as well as the provision of reinforcement in Europe and across the Atlantic. The head of Lithuania‘s diplomacy also noted the need to work together to strengthen the resilience of the Alliance's societies to informational threats.
Soldiers from Belgium, the Czech Republic, Iceland, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Norway are currently deployed to the NATO enhanced forward presence battalion in Lithuania. The battalion is led by Germany. In addition, this country has deployed the largest number of troops stationed in Lithuania.
The Permanent Representatives thanked Lithuania for its support in receiving their troops. They are visiting Lithuania on 18-19 October. The Permanent Representatives will get acquainted with the implementation of measures to ensure security of Lithuania and the entire region, and will discuss the remaining challenges.
A delegation of the Permanent Representatives will visit the NATO Force Integration Unit Lithuania in Vilnius and the Mechanized Infantry Brigade Iron Wolf in Rukla.
The North Atlantic Council (NAC) is the principal political decision-making body within NATO. It consists of Permanent Representatives of all member countries. The Permanent Representatives visited Lithuania for the first time and had their meeting in 2016.